Whoever said that time brings progress couldn`t have been more right. The year 1886 brought with itself the invention of the modern automobile. Here we are, more than 130 years later, living what our ancestors have surely never even dreamed of: the ability to open your garage door using a smartphone.
Unlike the usual garage door opener which requires- you guessed it- pressing a button physically, a smart garage door opener such as the Alexa/Google ones allows you to control your garage door remotely and monitor it using your smartphone. By doing this, it basically acts as a security guard for the garage- nobody goes in or out of the garage without you getting a notification about it. Besides the high level of security it provides, the convenience of being able to open the door from anywhere (say, if a friend comes over when you are not at home) and the electricity amount reduction makes it a very cool gadget for the hectic times that we live in.
Convinced to install one yourself? Here is a comparison of some of the best-known systems on the market to help you decide over a model.
Best Smart Alexa/Google Home Garage Door Openers
Smartphone-controlled garage door opener by Genie
The Stealth Drive Connect Model is made of plastic and has 8.5x12x28 inches and it comes in with 5 lithium metal batteries. See its features below.
- The device comes in with a 1 ¼ HPC DC motor
- Compatible with Google and Alexa
- A battery backup is provided
- The garage door accessories are included (remote, keypad, wall console and light control button)
- The opener is easy to install
- Quiet in operation
- The device is strong (thus being able to open even the heaviest garage doors)
- A backup battery is provided in the package
- The device`s antenna is at times unable to pick the wireless signal
- Connecting to the Wi-fi can be challenging but nonetheless successful
Smart Wifi garage door opener by Refoss
The Smart Wifi garage door opener is 3.7×1.8×0.9 inches in dimension, does not require batteries and only comes in white. See below for features.
- Compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant and other major garage openers in the market
- An alert feature is provided by the device
- Instructions on where to place the sensor are included
- Easy installation and setup of the device
- The device comes in with a high sensitivity sensor
- The opener is highly stable
- The opener only works at maximum potential if it is provided with excellent Wifi signal
- The device is not fully supported by Alexa in other countries except for USA, Germany and Japan
Smart Wifi garage door opener remote by AGSOME
This smart garage door opener requires a 2.4 GHz Wifi connection is compatible with almost all garage doors. See the device`s features below.
- Compatible with Alexa, Google Home, Smart life and Tuya Smart App
- A notifications feature is included
- The device is easy to set up and connect to Wifi
- It comes in with various installation alternatives
- The proximity function is highly responsive
- The sensor cord is not very long
- It only supports a small number of Alexa voice commands
Smart Wifi Remotely Control Garage Opener by Nexx Garage
This 3x1x1.5 inches device requires a 2.4 GHZ Wifi connection and it comes in black color. Its features are listed below.
- Compatible with most garage door openers
- A multi user-access feature is provided
- The device provides a smartphone location feature for the user`s cellphone
- Opening and closing the door using the app works almost instantaneously
- Reminders about the garage door status are sent every 20 minutes to the user
- Support feedback is always provided within 24 hours of the request
- Alexa integration is simple and time-efficient
- Install and setup may prove to be challenging
- Documentation can be uncomprehensive enough at times
Smart garage door opener by eKyro
This 6.1×4.3×2 inches device comes in white color and it is made of plastic, requiring a 120V voltage and 5A amperage to be run. Read the product`s detailed features below.
- Compatible with Alexa, Google Home, iPhone and Android
- The opener works with any number of garage stalls
- A notifications feature is provided
- The device is easy to install and setup
- It is highly responsive to commands
- Hard wired contacts for the garage door are being provided
- The device does not come in with a long sensor cable
Smart Wifi Garage Door Opener by meross
This 3.7×1.8×0.9 inches device is made of ABS and it comes in white, requiring a 10V voltage for operation. See more features below.
- Compatible with Alexa, Google Assistant and SmartThings devices
- Multiple notification modes are provided
- A high sensitivity sensor is included
- The device is hardwired into the garage door opener
- The device is easy to install and setup
- It also works in case of a weaker Wifi signal
- The Smartphone app is highly efficient
- The device might prevent other existing remote devices from working
- Instructions can be poorly comprehensible at times
Smart Wifi garage door opener by Micmi
The 5.6×4.5×3.3 inches garage door opener from Micmi requires a 2.4 GHz Wifi connection and it comes in white. See some further features of the product below.
- Compatible with Alexa and Google Assistant Devices
- The opener comes in with a built-in socket
- Wireless door status sensor is included
- Multi-user access and notification features are featured
- Easy to install and setup
- The built-in socket charges smartphones very fast
- The garage door opens almost instantly after giving the command
- Not compatible with every old garage door opener
- The instructions provided by the device can prove to be insufficient at times
- The provided cable might prove to be too short, which means additional wires will be needed