A USB hub is a type of connector that deals with transferring of data and power to and from computing devices. USB type C is the newest type of connector. It is symmetrical and can be inserted in any way thereby doing away with frustrations of earlier USB ports and placing it on the same level as Apple’s reversible Lightning plug.
This hub is now shaping up to be a real replacement for not only older USB standards but also other standards like Thunderbolt and Display port.
USB Type C Features
- It has a new tiny physical connector which is roughly the size of a micro USB connector.
- It can connect new USB standards like USB 3.1 and USB power delivery.
- The USB Type-C port can support a variety of different protocols using “alternate modes” which allows one to have adapters that can output HDMI, VGA or other types of connections from that single USB port.
- USB Type-C offers a new connector that is very small that is it’s about a third the size of an old USB Type-A plug.
- It is reversible so one no longer needs to flip the connector a minimum of three times looking for the correct orientation.
- This connector is small enough to fit into a super-thin mobile device but also powerful enough to connect all the peripherals you want to your laptop.
- This is a single USB connector shape that all devices should adopt so you won’t have to keep loads of different USB cables with different connectors for your various devices.
Best USB-C Hub For MacBook Pro/Air
Satechi Multi-port Adapter
This is a USB-C hub that is made by Satechi and owned by the Apple store. Apple picked this device from other USB-C hubs on the market mainly because it is a product capable of standing up to years of regular use. Apple likes quality products and this surely feels like one.
- It has multiple ports, that is, you will get three USB 3.0 ports, one HDMI port, one USB-C port, and one Ethernet port.
- It has an SD card slot and a microSD card slot making it easier to transfer data from the phone or camera.
- The HDMI port supports 4K monitors and the Gigabit Ethernet can handle speeds of up to 10/100/1000 megabytes per second.
- The hub supports pass-through charging so one can plug in their computer’s charger into the hub’s USB-C port to charge your computer.
- It has lots of ports.
- The hub has a nice design.
- It has only one USB-C port.
- This hub is a little bit expensive.
Hootoo USB-C Adapter Hub
No products found.
This hub increases the number of ports on your laptop without an extreme price tag.
- It has three USB-A 3.0 ports.
- It has one SD card reader, one HDMI port that supports 4K monitors and a USB-C port for power up to 100 watts which is an added advantage considering the price.
- It has been upgraded with heat-reduction technology to prevent overheating.
- The use of copper wiring and other metals helps to create more efficient data transfers.
- This hub has a pocket-friendly design.
- It has three USB ports, a card reader, and an HDMI port.
- The hub is quite cheap.
- It lacks an Ethernet port.
- It would have been an added advantage if there were USB ports on both sides of the hub.
No products found.
The HyperDrive 7-Port USB Type C Hub
This is a great USB-C hub that complements your MacBook pro without doing away with the computer’s sleek form-factor.
- The hub slots into a USB-C port on the side of your MacBook pro giving you one USB-C port, an HDMI port, an SD card slot, a MicroSD card slot, headphone port, and a two USB-A port.
- The HDMI port on the hub can connect to a 4K monitor while the USB-C port delivers power.
- This version of the HyperDrive works with Chrome books, Android phones, and MacBook pro. If you prefer a version that is specifically tailored for MacBook pro, then you can consider the HyperDrive 8-in-2 that offers two USB-C ports.
- This hub is sleek and stylish it sits flushed with your laptop.
- This device is designed to be plugged into the left side of the computer but it can also be plugged into the right side.
- It has multiple ports.
- The hub has a nice design that is sleek and stylish.
- It blends in with MacBook laptops.
- It lacks an Ethernet port.
Anker Premium 7-in-1 USB-C Hub
- It has an SD and a MicroSD card slots which offer comparable speeds for transferring files.
- It has 2 USB 3.0 ports which allow great transfer speeds when moving 4K movie files.
- The USB-C power delivery port enables one to charge their laptop and also use any USB power devices such as mouse and keyboards.
- It has a suitable size which is perfect for carrying in your pocket or laptop case.
- The hub does not require an external power supply.
- The metal used in making the hub avoids scratches and has a little bit of grip to prevent it from slipping.
- The hub has a sleek design.
- It has a small portable size.
- It is quite cheap.
- It has a fast rate of transfer speeds.
- It has a short cable.
- The hub can get warm.
Elgato Thunderbolt 3 Mini Dock
This hub is mainly aimed at owners of Apple’s latest MacBook Pro laptops who need an essential set of ports while on the move.
- It has a one display port 1.2 output, an HDMI 2.0 output, a USB 3.1 Generation 1 Type-A port and a Gbe port. This not only connects everyday essentials but also demands devices such as an SSD or Apple SuperDrive making packing adapters a thing of the past.
- This hub is very compact and comes with a foldable 12cm cable that can be put away when it is not in use.
- The product comes with the Elgato Dock utility for macOS that enables high power USB support and easy ejection of storage devices attached to the dock.
- It features a Gigabit Ethernet Port which enables one to transfer critical files without interruption this enables one to complete many jobs within a short period.
- It is a pocket-size footprint and has a built-in Thunderbolt 3 cable which allows one to disconnect safely, put it in your bag and carry it anywhere.
- It puts all the first-class ports needed in a sleek, space gray enclosure that fits in the palm of your hand.
- It has a disport port and an HDMI port.
- It supports 4K at 60HZ.
- It has a Gigabit LAN.
- It is quite expensive.
- It has no thunderbolt 3 port for the daisy chain.
Atolla 4-in-1 USB Type C Hub
- It has a super speed data transfer- the hub supports USB 3.0 transfer rates up to 5 Gigabytes per second. This allows data to move quickly between devices making it ideal for high-throughput devices such as USB hard drives and flash drives.
- It has a sleek yet functional design- it is designed with 4 USB 3.0 ports that are capable of super speed data transfer along with smart charging. The fifth port is ideal for your iPad or tablet.
- It has LED status indicators and on/off switches for each USB port which provides convenient control.
- It has a solid construction, built-in surge protection and over-current protection along with industrial-grade hardened cables which endure years of use.
- This hub is compatible with most windows example Linux, Vista, Mac OS X, Windows 10, 8.1, and others.
- It is affordable.
- It has an engaging style.
- It only packs USB type-A ports.
Lention USB-C Hub
- It has USB 3.0 ports which are accompanied by discount LED lights that do not light the entire section.
- It has an SD and a MicroSD slot
- It has a variety of ports.
- It is a little bit cheap.
- It has fussy card slots.
- It lacks a USB-C slot.