These are wireless Bluetooth earbuds that are created by apple. These devices perform various functions example playing audio, they have a built-in microphone that filters out background noise. These devices come with an added advantage because it’s easy for someone to find them even when they are offline.
Safety measures to ensure that you find your AirPods
- You must have an iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch or a computer.
- You need to have installed the latest version of IOS on any of the devices listed above.
- You must have set up your AirPods on the find my app on your device before you lose them. This is because it is the only way that you can search for them when they go missing.
How to activate “Find My app” on your device
- Start from your iPhone’s home screen.
- Go to settings and click on your device name and launch the find my app. You also need to choose your Apple ID.
- Then enable the following options when setting up the find my:
- Find my AirPods.
- Enable offline finding.
- Send the last location.
Tips to take in order to avoid losing your AirPods
Because of the small size of the AirPods it is very easy for one to lose their AirPods or to misplace then. Some measures can be taken to prevent this from happening.
- Set up the “Find My” App on your iPhone- this should be done as soon as the AirPods are delivered because it will be too late to do this once they have been misplaced.
- Be cautious- before alighting public transport, a taxi or an airplane one should check to see if these devices are still in your ears or pocket. The earbuds should not be worn in a panic situation example when one needs to run, they should get them off their ears.
- One can get AirPod straps or air hooks- although this will beat the wireless feature of this device by using a strap that connects the AirPods to the AirPods; it is a better option than having to replace the AirPods once they are lost. One can also go for the ear hooks in case they don’t like the straps. The hooks connect the AirPods separately to your ear and also ensure that the buds are firmly fixed. This reduces their chances of falling off with these hooks.
- Getting an AirPod carrying case- these are the best means of storing and carrying these earbuds when they are not in use. Most of them have keychains and hooks that you can attach to your bag or belt for convenience. This case also protects the earbud from impact damages.
How to find Airpods when offline
Airpods appear as offline in case they are out of range of your device if they are in the AirPod case or in case they are out of battery power. Apple has already covered this situation by coming up with a feature called Find my Airpods which is located inside the find my iPhone App. The find my phone on IOS devices and iCloud helps you protect your iPhone and AirPods from getting stolen and to also locate them easily if they are stolen. This app can list every device that is synced with the same iCloud account and their last location based on the online and location history. If one has enabled the find my iPhone feature then the find my Airpods is enabled automatically.
Steps to follow
- Open the Find my iPhone app on your iPhone and tap on the AirPods from the list.
- The AirPods will show a grey dot if they are offline. Despite them being offline you will still be able to see their last location on the map. You can tap on the car button and navigate to their last known location.
It is not possible to play sound on AirPods when they are offline.
- When you reach the location of the AirPods you will have to look for them the old fashioned way. In case the AirPods connect to your iPhone automatically, then you can play sound on them.